Driving Safety Course
If you received a ticket for a moving violation, under the Subtitle C, Transportation Code, you may request permission to take a driving safety course (DSC). Eligible defendants qualifying for the driving safety course must submit payment and all completed forms no later than the 20th business day from the date of the offense. DO NOT TAKE THE DRIVING SAFETY COURSE UNTIL the Court has granted permission to do so.
- The Defendant requests driving safety no later than 20 business days after receiving the citation.
- The Defendant has not taken a driving safety course or motorcycle operator’s training course within the 12 months preceding the date of this offense or is currently not taking a course to dismiss a ticket.
- The speed cannot be 25 MPH or more over the posted speed limit.
- The offense cannot have occurred in a construction zone while workers present.
- The Defendant provides proof of vehicle insurance, pursuant to the Texas Transportation Code, valid and in force as of the date the Defendant requests a DSC with the Court.
- The Defendant presents a valid Texas Driver’s License, permit, or active duty military ID.
- The Defendant pays the Court Costs and administrative fees, $144.00 (regular zone) or $169 (school zone). (No personal or business checks are accepted)
Ways To Request Driving Safety
Download: Driving Safety Request form (PDF)
Submit request online: Request permission to take driving safety to dismiss a case
- In Person
When you appear in person the appropriate documentation will be filled out at the window and a copy will be given to you for your records. Please bring your Texas Driver’s License and current proof of insurance.
- By Mail
Complete the Driving Safety Request form (PDF)
Submit the driving safety request form, driver’s license, proof of insurance, and payment to the court office (money order or cashier’s check only). It is your responsibility to contact the Court to verify that we received your request. Once the court processes the request, a formal driving safety course packet will be mailed to the address you provided on the form.
Note: Do not start a driving safety course online until you have requested and received approval from the municipal court. Any certificates dated prior to the request will not be accepted.
If you complete and submit a uniformed certificate of a driving safety course and a certified driving record from DPS (Form 3A) No later than your 90 days, the charge against you will be dismissed.
Failure to Comply
If you fail to present to this court, your proof of a uniformed certificate of a driving safety course and a certified driving record within the 90 days, the court will require your appearance at a show cause hearing that will be mailed to you at the last known address the court has on file or you may pay the balance owed but it will then result as a conviction on my driving record.
If you fail to appear at the show cause hearing, the court will impose the fine, enter a conviction and a capias pro-fine warrant will be issued for your arrest without further notice.